Wednesday, October 21, 2015

THE FADE OUT #10 Preview Online and In Stores Today!

Confirming what we reported last week, yesterday Comic Book Resources posted a five-page preview of the tenth issue for The Fade Out, and Ed Brubaker relays that the issue is out today "in the best comics shops in the world."

This chapter of the sprawling noir mystery is titled "Where Angels Fear to Tread," which matches the title of a 1905 E.M. Forster novel but may be more directly an allusion to the original line by Alexander Pope, "For fools rush in where angels fear to tread."

The phrase hints at both the recklessness of the story's central characters and the danger they face as a result.  I think it's very unlikely they'll navigate the treacherous waters and find a happy ending on the other side.

And for Charlie, at least, the story's setting of debauchery and political intrigue is receding in importance, as his quest is driven by much more personal stakes.



It's probably too soon to look past The Fade Out, but it is worth noting that Image Comics released its January solicitations yesterday, and there were no listings for Brubaker or Phillips.  The convention season for Image Comics recently ended with the conclusion of the New York Comic Con on October 11th, and that was probably the last obvious venue for announcing the next Brubaker-Phillips collaboration.

Here's hoping that the announcement comes sooner rather than later, and we'll be sure to pass along any news as we see it; in the meantime, we'll be taking a closer look at The Fade Out as it cuts to black, and we'll also relay when Brubaker's other series Velvet returns to the stands.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

After reading the back matter in issue 10 I came here to see if there was a mention on the next project. I'm excited to hear what the next project will be.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Bubba said...

No news yet, but when that changes, we'll post the announcement IMMEDIATELY -- and I always post a link of the latest blog entry on Twitter, so if you have an account, you might want to follow Ed at @brubaker, Sean at @seanpphillips, and myself at @TigerBeasley. That's your best bet for getting the announcement as it breaks.

7:32 AM  
Blogger Bubba said...

...and, since the next project wasn't listed in the January solicits, I wouldn't be surprised if it's not announced until around November 20th, around the time of the February solicitations. It's clear from the back matter that the announcement's coming "soon," but that could be a relative term. It could just mean that we'll hear about it before the next issue, and Comic List's extended forecast for Image Comics have pushed back issue #11 from November 11th to November 18th.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for the follow up! I not really a fan of Sci-Fi so I hope they don't go that way but that seems to be likely with some of the interviews I've read lately. Because of my faith in the creators I'd give anything they put out a try however. I'm secretly holding out hope for another round of Criminal even though that's probably unlikely.

11:53 AM  
Blogger Bubba said...

I do believe more Criminal is planned, including a sequel to the original arc "Coward," and I'm hoping we'll see more Criminal sooner rather than later. Either way, I think I prefer Brubaker and Phillips' more straight-up crime fiction rather than genre mash-ups like Fatale because the focus can be placed entirely on plot and characterization rather than world-building and establishing the rules of that particular universe.

That said, next to Criminal, my favorite series of theirs is the super-powered espionage comic Sleeper: it didn't have to do much world-building because it was set in the WildStorm universe (but still fairly self-contained).

Sci-fi, romance, comedy, even a larger sword-and-sorcery story about Zangar the barbarian: I'd be interested to see them try their hand at any genre, because even when it's not the very best work they do, it's always among the best books on the stands.

10:21 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I had heard that another Criminal arc was dependent on how well the one shot sold. I haven't heard anything since then. Fingers crossed. After Criminal (if we're excluding the Fade Out) my favorite has been Velvet. Unfortunately I got started on that late and am picking it up in trade.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I should say that I realize Velvet is only one half of the dynamic duo of Brubaker/Phillips.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Bubba said...

Looks like the new issue of Velvet is out today, and we'll be posting about it shortly.

From what I've heard, more Criminal has always been on the horizon, it's just a matter of when -- and it's hopefully sooner rather than later.

..and speaking of delays, sorry for not approving your comment sooner! I must have missed the email notification. :-)

3:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Newer Posts Older Posts